For centuries, fishermen in the North West Atlantic, off Newfoundland, relied on the seemingly plentiful cod stocks for their livelihoods. But in 1992, after decades of overfishing using trawlers, the cod disappeared, leaving 10,000 fishermen without jobs overnight. Today, the cod have still not recovered, and scientists believe that the ecosystem has been damaged to the point where they may never return in high enough numbers to sustain an industry.
СКОРО – TUNZA, русская версия
Healthy people in a healthy environment
Good health and well-being require a clean and harmonious environment where physical, psycho - logical, social and aesthetic factors are all given their due importance. These factors are affected by actions and choices which can secure considerable health benefits. The environment is thus not only important for its own sake, but as a resource for better living conditions and well-being.
- What we’ve agreed: the Convention on the Rights of the Child and the Millennium Development Goals
- Green savings
- What young people want
- Water – the key to life
- The air we breathe
- Safer, quieter towns and cities of the future – reclaiming the streets
- Active, healthy lifestyles
- Making energy sustainable
- On the safe side
- Listen to our voices – the Bandung Declaration
Have your say!
© Copyright TUNZA 2010. All Rights Reserved.